NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

WE HAVE A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
janpatekquiltsinc@gmail.com.
Please send all emails to that address

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wednesday, 10 May - Pep's Birthday and ....

My Wednesday to post a block in Moda Blockheads.
My block this week is an appliquéd Basket and Flower.


It says on the pattern page to use your preferred method of Appliqué which makes sense because
it's your quilt.

I never taught appliqué because I assumed that everyone else knew how to do it.  
However, I learned a few years ago that a whole lot of quilters were very frustrated by appliqué.
It can either be very relaxing if you know what you're doing or it can make you want to throw the  block across the room.
I should have remembered that before I posted my last block - and to make it worse somehow the instructions page wasn't posted - just the drawing.
So I'm going to back up a little here and see if I can make things simpler for those of you who don't appliqué for at least an hour each morning and evening.

First, to get to the pattern page, click here

and now, to get to the link to my tutorial on applique and baskets click here

Do watch the tutorial if you can because it covers
1) Supplies needed
2) Basics of my method of Freezer Paper Appliqué
3) Mastering the Applique stitch
4) Baskets & Handles
5) Flowers in Baskets

It also covers to some extent "inside and outside curves".

And if you type "Jan Patek Tutorials" into your browser, there is a whole series of tutorials covering just about every aspect of Appliqué.  It's not quite as helpful as having someone sit down and show you how to do it, but it's close.
I hope they are helpful.  They were a lot of fun to make.

And besides binding quilts for Market I decided to hand quilt my latest Mini Quilt, Flags and Stars because I do like to quilt once in awhile too.


Sometimes I wonder about me.

Be sure to go to the other Blockheads blogs to see what they've done with the Basket & Flower.


Have a great week ladies and meet me back here next Wednesday for Week #11 of the Moda Blockheads BOW.













17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Pep! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday, Pep! Lots of love from Germany!
    I will start right on to your cute little basket block, Jan! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sew enjoying this sal. Thank you all for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for the pattern and alternate instructions--I like freezer paper on the back and the seams starched over and done before I try to applique--needleturn makes my stomach turn lol--just not my bag--(your visual of someone throwing a block across the room is reminiscent of my last abortive effort...!! hahaha). hugs a wannabe good appliquer--Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you. I used to think that everyone could applique and why wouldn't they want to? I think the best thing I have learned from teaching over the years is that we all have different strengths and different likes. I LOVE this little basket and can't wait to get started. Happy Birthday to Pep! And by the way, applique is always my first choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Pep!

    Just so you know... my blocks are prepped and ready to stitch down, one is about half-way finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I love your mini quilt - and that you're hand-quilting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Pep! Cute little block:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your Sweetie!! I hope he is healed well enough from his orthopedic surgery to kick up his heels for today...
    Super cute basket and thanks for the tutorials too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the basket, very folk style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice block and love your fabric combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your tutorials and patterns Jan. You ROCK!! Love the Flags and Stars too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed the tutorial! Thank you!
    Sometimes I wonder about myself too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to Pep!!!
    Thank you for the basket block! Love the latest mini! Stitch on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't done much needle turn in the past so I went and watched your tutorials, great, very well done. Now to do that cutie basket and flowers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  17. where is the pattern for the house in Blockheads 1? It was your quilt on page 11.

    ReplyDelete